Wierd HDB/Permissions problems (again)

J. Eric Townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Fri Aug 25 16:18:14 AEST 1989

In article <9338 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <2352 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>"\!" is how you type a "!" when you're using /bin/ksh.  The "!"
>>alone is a command for the shell, so you have to escape it.
>Perhaps you mean csh.  Typing ! at ksh gives:
> /bin/ksh: !:  not found

Yep.  You're correct.  I meant csh.

Also, I solved the problem.  It was a typo I'd made along the lines
of:

MACHINE=foo \
[various permissions] \
#                     ^ --  Here's the problem!

MACHINE=BAR
[various *different* permissions]

As I understand it, this caused uucp to read bar's permissions in
as well, and used those instead of the permissions I'd declared
for foo.  At least I *think* that's what happened.  I know it
worked when I removed the "\" after foo's permissions.

--
Good ole' boys,               J. Eric Townsend
tellin' lies,            unet!sugar!flatline!erict com6 at uhnix1.uh.edu
'bout time               EastEnders Mailing list: eastender at flatline.UUCP
I got wise. -- B-52's.