Stupid reposting service (was Re: SLIP/getty/printers on Terminal Servers)

Bob Sutterfield bob at MorningStar.Com
Tue Dec 19 08:21:14 AEST 1989

If the source is something that I'm interested in, I already saw it
the first time around because I read the groups discussing subjects
that I'm interested in.  If it's something that I'm not interested in,
I don't mind (all that much) "n"ing over it in alt.sources, but it
certainly adds to the clutter.  I keep thinking things like "I thought
I avoided looking at this traffic by not subscribing to those
newsgroups discussing things I don't care about!" and "I already saw
this once, right?".

My main objection is to the cost of transporting the same stuff twice.
It's measurable here, and substantial when multiplied by the number of
non-NNTP edges in the network.

I'd prefer not to have the reposting service.  It's a disservice to me.