Perl may be great, but... (was Re: uutraffic report (in perl))

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Mon Dec 4 08:14:46 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov25.033949.948 at sobmips.UUCP>, roe at sobmips (r.peterson) writes:
| From article <3384 at convex.UUCP>, by tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen):
| > And "cut" and "paste" aren't standard, and "sh" or "awk" with functions
| > aren't standard.
|
| Maybe not.  But, if you don't have cut and paste, complain bitterly to
| your vendor.  They've been on every unix box I've ever used, since V7
| on a PDP 11/40.

V7 did *not* have cut and paste!  These were in System III ("the best
Zenith ever") and brought over to the SVID, thus available in System
V-dot-whatever.  But they were *not* in V6, V7, or PWB/Unix, or any of
the early BSDs (maybe now... I don't get 4.4BSD... sigh).

If you had it on your V7 box, you weren't running out-of-the-box V7.

Just another old UNIX hacker (no, not telling you *how* old... :-),
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |