promoting Perl (was Re: uutraffic report (in perl))

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Wed Nov 29 05:18:13 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov28.064349.1421 at eda.com> jim at eda.com (Jim Budler) writes:
>I can't actually disagree with you, however, perl won me over with
>ONE simple example:
>
>	% find <path> <pattern> -exec < most any command> \;
>versus
>	% find <path> <pattern> -print | perl -ne 'equiv_command;'
>
>The performance improvement was HUGE!

My goodness.

It's a darn good thing the above quoted poster never read the man page
for xargs(1).

He might have been won over by UNIX!  :-)

--
Canada -- a few acres of snow.    ^v^v^    Tom Neff
                 -- Voltaire      v^v^v    tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET