uutraffic report (in perl)

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at NCoast.ORG
Fri Nov 24 03:16:19 AEST 1989

A lot of people seem to be missing the point again.  Perl is a tool for
constructing complex tools.  I spent yesterday at work writing a Perl script
which converts data from a database into an "lp" configuration -- which
requires a fairly complex manipulation of various entities (files, output of
programs, etc.)  The script is about 150 lines long and would *not* be fun to
write as a shell script using e.g. sed or (n)awk.  On the other hand, I do
write little filters fairly often -- and rarely use Perl for them, preferring
sed or awk.

Perl is extremely useful, but using it for everything is ridiculous.  Do you
use a screwdriver to hammer nails?  Don't get carried away with it, but use it
*when it's the appropriate tool* and you'll be rewarded by your task becoming
easier.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery at NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu bsa at telotech.uucp