uutraffic report (in perl)

Dave Mack csu at alembic.acs.com
Sat Nov 25 13:11:43 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov23.042958.2531 at eda.com> jim at eda.com (Jim Budler) writes:
>emv at math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>

>} We really need comp.lang.perl to get this discussion in
>} the right perspective.
>
>} Did the person (at a uucp-only site) collecting votes fall
>} off the earth?
>
>} --Ed
>

>No he has collected several hundred, and reported on it in the perl
>mailing list. He has also mentioned that he is following the rules
>absolutely, and I think you'll hear from him when the thirty days has
>completed. Probably the results posting will be made within seconds of
>the voting period expiration 8^)
>
>People have objected to mid-period tallies and mid-period reminders,
>so I think he's passing on that.

Perhaps someone should mention to this well-meaning but deluded soul
that the current version of the guidelines calls for a 21-day, not a
30-day, voting period? :-)

>From the Nov. 6, 1989 posting of the New Newsgroup Creation Guidelines:

2) The voting period should last for at least 21 days, no matter what the
   preliminary results of the vote are. The exact date that the voting period
   will end should be stated in the call for votes. Only votes that arrive
   on the vote-taker's machine prior to this date may be counted.
[...]
The Result

1) At the completion of the 21 day voting period, the vote taker must post
   the vote tally and the E-mail addresses and (if available) names of the
   votes received to news.announce.newgroups and any other groups or mailing
   lists to which the original call for votes was posted.

I, for one, see no urgent need to wait thirty days.

--
Dave Mack