Perl may be great, but...

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Thu Nov 23 10:54:16 AEST 1989

In <1989Nov22.153901.3503 at splut.conmicro.com> jay at splut.conmicro.com
(Jay Maynard) writes:
Jay> I'm watching the world do great things in perl, and I'm jealous, knowing
Jay> that Larry has succumbed to the Richard Stallman Syndrome: "That's not a
Jay> real computer, and I won't program to it."  Richard is as blatant about
Jay> it as he is about the GNU Manifesto's real objectives.  I don't really
Jay> think Larry has it in for 16-bit machines, but then again, perl could
Jay> have been written to avoid the more obvious limitations...as it is now,
Jay> perl crashes and burns spectacularly.

This is actually pretty amusing.  Now it's a pathological disorder to
write good software that runs on a variety of machines, but not all of
them.  Now you might believe that Richard needs treatment for other
things, but I don't think this is one of them.

[Obligatory religious cut: You'd have to ship a few MTS/Plus
programmers that way first.]

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at ai.mit.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))