Perl may be great, but... (was Re: uutraffic report (in perl))

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Nov 23 07:11:20 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov22.153901.3503 at splut.conmicro.com> jay at splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:

| Perl won't run on my 286-powered system. Larry's comment about "perl
| probably won't run on 16-bit systems" is dead on.

  I was able to get an earlier version to compile and run a test
program, then archived it and went on to other things. If you want to
try, I set the minimum size to create a new segment quite low, then set
the max number of segments up until it loaded. Compiled in large model
with -W2 to get warned of places where pointers were put into int's etc.
I used the -Zg option and some little scripts to create a prototypes
header, and included it in every module. Hope this helps.

  I haven't forgotten how hard I worked to run stuff before I got the
386, but I'm working on it...
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon