uutraffic report (in perl)

J Greely jgreely at oz.cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Nov 22 11:08:44 AEST 1989

In article <14946 at bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>I do think it's annoying at this stage to hear "here's the perl script,
>that's all anyone with a functioning brain pan needs, wise up you
>contemptible fools!" types of sentiments in postings.  Perl needs a
>softer sell.  It's too early for it to become a religious issue.

(Two years after its first net release is too early?)

  A lot of the current publicity is probably due to the fact that
comp.lang.perl is being voted on now (when *does* that vote end?).  I
don't mind, since lots of Perl hackers are coming out of the closet,
both on the net and the Perl mailing list, resulting in the appearance
of a fair number of useful Perl scripts that might otherwise never
have seen the light of day.

  And yes, it *is* a religious issue.  It cuts to the heart of the
Unix philosophy, performs a triple bypass, and gets some useful work
done while sh is still in the first set of backquotes.  Ever seen a
disk usage accounting system written in sh?  It's not a pretty sight.
-=-
J Greely (jgreely at cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)