uutraffic report (in perl)

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Wed Nov 22 10:14:26 AEST 1989

The issue we're struggling with is whether Perl deserves to become a
great UNIX lingua franca.  It's certainly powerful, but it's still
somewhat in flux.  As perl-script author postings attest, it has that
"addictive" quality that makes some people total converts.

I do think it's annoying at this stage to hear "here's the perl script,
that's all anyone with a functioning brain pan needs, wise up you
contemptible fools!" types of sentiments in postings.  Perl needs a
softer sell.  It's too early for it to become a religious issue.
Distributing perl scripts for which Bourne would have done in roughly
the same space doesn't help either.

But we should keep an open mind and remember it's more important to
try new things than to suppress them.  That's why the net exists.
--
Hey, where'd the Colombian Coffee ads go all of   %8  Tom Neff
a sudden!  Is Juan Valdez hiding in Panama?       8%  tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET