moderation of alt.sources vs. automated harangues

Kyle Jones kjones at talos.uucp
Thu Oct 19 02:15:58 AEST 1989

Wayne Mesard writes:
 > Okay, so here's my Great Idea(tm):
 >
 > A moderator could post a message once or twice a day containing
 > alt.sources message ID's in the Summary field.  Then a little program
 > could run once a night at local sites which would read these messages
 > and link the alt.sources articles into a.s.m.

I like this idea, except the message-ID's should be in the body of the
article.  Wayne's also suggested that the body of the message could
contain editorial information about the referenced articles but I'd
prefer to see things remain simpler, i.e. just the message-ID's.  A
program could use the IDs to find the articles and do anything it wants
from that point.

I don't think anyone here wants anything close to what the moderators of
the comp.sources.* groups do; all is needed is a way to unerringly pick
the sources postings from the non-source postings, without incurring the
delays of moderation.

I think Wayne's idea would keep everyone happy.  All that's needed is a
group for the index postings, say "alt.sources.index", and someone to
post the lists of message-ID's.  I'm willing to do the latter, if enough
people think this idea is worth pursuing.  Hell, I might just do it
anyway...