.newsrc file fixer

Dik T. Winter dik at cwi.nl
Tue Oct 3 06:30:50 AEST 1989

In article <4784 at orca.WV.TEK.COM> jeff at quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) writes:

 > This is a little script that I tossed together to massage my .newsrc.  I tried
 > to edit it with 'vi' to move the order of some of the groups around, and clean
 > it up a bit.

And some script that will fold long lines.  There is however a much easier
procedure to get at (nearly) the same result:
	cp .newsrc .newsrc.old
	sed -e '/!/d' .newsrc.old >.newsrc
This will throw away all lines mentioning groups you are not subscribed to
(and those are presumably also the long lines).  Net effect: shorter .newsrc,
faster rn startup, no problems editing .newsrc.

Note that sed will choke if your .newsrc contains lines longer than 4000 chars!
INTERNET   : dik at cwi.nl
BITNET/EARN: dik at mcvax