.newsrc file fixer

Amos Shapir amos at taux01.UUCP
Tue Oct 3 16:38:36 AEST 1989

In article <8437 at boring.cwi.nl> dik at cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
>There is however a much easier
>procedure to get at (nearly) the same result:
>	cp .newsrc .newsrc.old
>	sed -e '/!/d' .newsrc.old >.newsrc
>This will throw away all lines mentioning groups you are not subscribed to

The point of keeping unsubscribed groups in .newsrc is that whenever a
new group is created, rn will ask you if you want to add it.  It
probably checks if there are any groups in the active file that are not
in .newsrc.  Since it cannot tell which of these is the new one, it will
ask about each and every one!  That means hundreds of questions, and you
cannot go on reading news before answering all of them.

	Amos Shapir		amos at taux01.nsc.com or amos at nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel
Tel. +972 52 522261  TWX: 33691, fax: +972-52-558322
34 48 E / 32 10 N			(My other cpu is a NS32532)