.newsrc file fixer

Gary Erickson erickson at ics.uci.edu
Wed Oct 4 03:07:40 AEST 1989

dik at cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:

>In article <2672 at taux01.UUCP> amos at taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
> > In article <8437 at boring.cwi.nl> dik at cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
> > >	cp .newsrc .newsrc.old
> > >	sed -e '/!/d' .newsrc.old >.newsrc
> >
> > The point of keeping unsubscribed groups in .newsrc is that whenever a
> > new group is created, rn will ask you if you want to add it.  It

>But I checked.  Rn will only check for new groups if the active file is changed.

I understand that rrn has no way to know whether or not you've already
been asked about a newsgroup.  We've got one news server, and all of
our Sun clients use rrn to get stuff from the server.  I've run into
the same problem.  So, I just add everything and unsubscribe.

Gary
University of California Irvine        | (714) 856-4222
Information & Computer Science Dept.   | erickson at ics.uci.edu    (Internet)
Support Group                          | ucbvax!ucivax!erickson      (UUCP)
--
Gary Scott Erickson