Maze generation

Gordon E. Greene gordon at itsgw.rpi.edu
Fri Dec 21 02:32:20 AEST 1990

In article <21945 at ttidca.TTI.COM> alter at ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Alter) writes:
>The right-hand-on-the-wall algorithm, in its simple form, won't be able
>to solve all mazes with loops in them (i.e. a maze that is not uniquely
>connected) but a simple modification to the algorithm can fix that.
>Just remember every room you've visited, and as you're walking around,
>if you see that you're about to step into an already visited room, then
>just pretend that there's a wall in front of you and continue to apply
>the right-hand rule.  After that, you can forget about that piece of
>phantom wall, because the rooms on both sides of it have been visited.

I'm not sure I see how this keeps you from getting stuck in loops unless you
switch hands when you've gone around once.

>Related topic:
>
>I remember a program that generates a 2-level maze, in which passages
>can cross over each other, and to some extend, two passages can even
>run in vertical parallel because the upper one is painted narrower than
>the lower.  The generator paints such a maze by growing all branches
>simultaneously, and the graphic effect is really strange!  Rather than
>solving it, the program let's you mouse through it with no help.
>Anybody else heard of such a sadistic piece of code?

I believe I have such a program for the Mac someplace.  I will look for it if
there is any interest.  It will take a while as I will be away for the weekend
and then I may have some problems getting access to a mac since I don't own
one and RPI shuts down a lot of the micro facilities over break.

--
--------- You can never have too many ferrets. -----------
gordon at rpi.edu    USERF023 at RPITSMTS   USERF023 at mts.rpi.edu