Program to set clock to NBS time

Miguel Casteleiro jmc at eagle.inesc.pt
Mon Dec 31 10:25:13 AEST 1990

In article <4042 at dah.sub.org>, ed at dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) writes:
< jmc at teqsoft.UUCP (Jack Cloninger) writes:
<
< >I am posting this for a friend from the SCO Mailing List who does not
< >have access to this newsgroup (Joe Huffman). Joe was responding to the
< >following request from another party on the mailing list.  The
< >following is the text of Joe's original posting and the uuencoded and
< >compressed source for nbs_time.c which sets the local computer time to
< >the time supplied by a dial-up connection to a Time Standards system.
<
< Out of curiosity, I dialed the number (+1 202 653 0351) contained
< in the source and got the following sent to my terminal at 1200 bps:
<
<      48253 362 214838 UTC
<      *
<      48253 362 214839 UTC
<      *
<      48253 362 214840 UTC
<
<    [... etc. at one second intervals ]
<
< The question is:  does anyone know of a comparable service here on
< the European continent?  Maybe even here in Germany?
<
< [...]

I have some more questions about this service:

Who is behind this service (U. S. Naval Observatory)?
Is it connected to an atomic clock?
What is the first number for (48253)?
What does UTC stands for (Universal Coordinated Time)?
If we dial from Europe, what is the expected delay?

And yes, it would be nice to have a similar service here in Europe.

Thanks for any help!
--
                                                                      __
 Miguel Casteleiro at                                            __  ///