Chat

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Mon Dec 31 04:24:40 AEST 1990

In article <40167 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> Vincent Reed writes:
>I have the source for a program called chat. writtren by D'Arcy Cain. It
>seeks three include files that I've been unable to find in any unix machine;
>process.h
>stdlib.h
>getopt.h
>Anybody know where I can find thes, and how come they're not included
>with the rest of the source? I mailed the author, but got no reply.

Sorry about that but a local backbone recently dropped most of its connections
before the new maps were issued and as a result mail has been bouncing like
crazy here.  I have since hacked up my own maps and I believe that the new
maps have been posted anyway so the problem should be resolved now.

As to the files mentioned it should be noted that the source for chat is
designed to be ANSI C compatible and as such certain files are expected to
be available.  I am not at my office as I write this but if you check the
back of K&R2 you will find a discussion of various header files and what
prototypes they should include.

process.h is there mainly to prototype fork() and exec().  I have since modified
the code so that this file is not necessary.  The same goes for getopt which
is there to prototype getopt() and declare the externs optarg and optind.  I
took this out since it was an error to assume its availability anyway.  As for
stdlib, the simplest fix for this is to link unistd.h to stdlib.h.

>Also, if anyone can direct me another multi-user talk that works across
>the internet,
>please do so.

I am hoping to have chat do this eventually.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government