copyright notices (was: Re: UNIX-Time the right way ...)

Rahul Dhesi dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com
Mon Dec 3 13:36:14 AEST 1990

In <18765 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

>Just because it's the alt.net you get to steal other people's work?
>Please, if that's the case I'll stop posting code, as will many
>others who don't believe in plagiarism or outright theft.

Well, you can't really have it two ways.  If you consider it plagiarism
or outright theft for people to use the code that you post in
alt.sources, then you shouldn't be posting it in the first place.  If
not so, then you shouldn't be posting the code here and insisting on
that strange copyright notice that prohibits disclosure.  Do you
seriously me to make others sign a non-disclosure agreement before I
install some utility that uses your code for use on our machines?

If the purpose of that copyright notice is to ensure correct author
attribution, then it is enough to state that, e.g., "permission is
granted to use...etc...provided this copyright notice is preserved."
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi