Is there a library of printcap extraction routines?

Eric D. Hendrickson edh at ux.acs.umn.edu
Thu Dec 20 07:18:50 AEST 1990

We have a growing /etc/printcap file here, and I'd like to be able to
manage it easier with some kind of routines to extract data from the
printcap definitions as requested.  e.g.:

unix 1%  pcu cm
Dataproducts LZR-1260
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Printronics Impact Printer
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
HP LaserJet II
HP LaserJet II
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Printronics Impact Printer
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter (3 hole)
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter (3 hole)
Apple LaserWriter
CDC 580 Impact Printer
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Dataproducts LZR-1260
Dataproducts LZR-1260
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Line Printer
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Apple LaserWriter
Xerox 8700 Laser Printer
Xerox 8700 Laser Printer
Test Line Printer
Test PostScript Printer
Test Spool Queue
Xerox 8700 Laser Printer

Which is all the titles given to the printers defined in /etc/printcap.
"pcu" is a printcap utility program I wrote to do some of this, but I am
wondering if there are any kind of routines already available for this.

	thanks for your help,
			Eric
--
/----------"Oh carrots are divine, you get a dozen for dime, its maaaagic."--
|Eric (the "Mentat-Philosopher") Hendrickson	  Academic Computing Services
|edh at ux.acs.umn.edu	   The game is afoot!	      University of Minnesota
\-"What does 'masochist' and 'amnesia' mean?   Beats me, I don't remember."--