Read this if you're having trouble unpacking Tcl

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Sat Dec 29 04:35:13 AEST 1990

In article <4410 at network.ucsd.edu> slamont at network.ucsd.edu (Steve
Lamont) writes:

| In article <97261639 at bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
| >It isn't necessary to 'eyeball' the whole 1.2MB in order to decide
| >whether you want it.  One can eyeball the first few components, or
| >search for something specific you want or dislike (socket calls, VMS
| >references, the regexp parser, etc).  ....
|
| I don't really have much to add to Tom's discussion re: uuencoded vs.
| cleartext files in source groups, other than I agree wholeheartedly with him
| that it seems that cleartext is probably the way to go.
|
| However, I'd like to make a small request of those generous souls who share
| the fruits of their labors with the net.  That request is to please include a
| reasonably full synopsis of what the posted source is supposed to do.  While I
| can usually figure out what a piece of code does by some amount of study, it
| would be preferable not to have to do so.  Even putting the man page as the
| first shar'ed file would be helpful.

On the other hand, ever since I've switched to compress + uuencode +
shar for shipping out large sets of patches, I've had fewer people
complain about news/mail trashing the file or subsequent patches
failing, since some 'helpful' intermediary decided to put a newline in
column 79, or change tabs to spaces, or....
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?