How to make a faster comp.sources.unix

rodgers at clausius.mmwb.ucsf.edu rodgers at clausius.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Sat Dec 1 08:57:57 AEST 1990

In <18766 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

>In article <10770:Nov3009:18:4790 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>>You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
>>contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!

>This is a fantastic idea.
>I think a better idea would be a list of volunteers whom Rick distributes
>a list of packages amongst.

This is definitely worth pursuing.  The idea is similar to that of a
peer-reviewed journal, with its Board of Editors.  As frustrated as i have
been with the slowness in comp.sources.unix, my sympathies lie with Rich;
this is an enormous amount of work for one busy professional to be doing in
his/her fleeting spare moments (thanks, Rich!).  I don't know how any of the
source moderators do it.  It would indeed be better if we all stopped whining
and looked at new ways of doing things.  Given the loose organization of
the net, perhaps one source group adapting this structure would lead to
others following.

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers
R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.         (415)476-8910 (work) 664-0560 (home)
UCSF Laurel Heights Campus     UUCP: ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers
3333 California St., Suite 102 ARPA: rodgers at maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118 USA     BITNET: rodgers at ucsfcca