TIMESTAMP: a useful file filter by last modified time

Amos Shapir amos at taux01.nsc.com
Mon Jul 2 17:12:42 AEST 1990

In article <926 at limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor at limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>.SH NOTES
>This command checks the last modified time of the files, not
>the created or last accessed times.  It's possible that we've
>choosen the wrong option in this case.

That's easy to fix: add flags -a for access time, -c for change time.

While we're at it, I find -r confusing - I think -n (for "newer") is
more appropriate.  Even better would be adopting the syntax of 'find'
e.g. +m 30 adds 30 minutes, -h 2 subtracts 2 hours.

Another useful change is to have timestamp read the list of files from
stdin, rather than argv; that way it is not going to be limited by
the size of the args list (usually about 5k), does not require fancy
magic filename matching patterns, and also enables things like
	find dir -options -print | timestamp

	Amos Shapir		amos at taux01.nsc.com, amos at nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel
Tel. +972 52 522408  TWX: 33691, fax: +972-52-558322 GEO: 34 48 E / 32 10 N