Unnecessary tar-compress-uuencodes

John Plocher plocher at sally.Sun.COM
Mon Jul 16 06:01:49 AEST 1990

darcy at druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
>>9) Should we use trigraphs for some of the more troublesome ASCII characters?
>>   The extraction utility could convert them back into real characters.
>Again shar can be banged on a little to handle this.  Simply change the
>sed command that it generates to translate trigraphs to the proper character.
>Then shar can convert all troublesome characters and it will be converted back
>when the script is run.

Ok, so I generate a new-shar archive that looks like this:

	sed "s/???/}/" << EOF
	blah
	EOF

And I send it thru a machine that munges the '}' character.
The orig file won't extract correctly now, even with this
"smart" sed script tacked on, because now the sed script itself
is broken.  In fact, sed based triglyph translators can corrupt
"correct" text like this:

	Remind:  Should this get fixed ???
...and...
	/* How many cards are there ??*/