Unnecessary tar-compress-uuencodes

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.UUCP
Tue Jul 17 17:01:46 AEST 1990

In article <138944 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher at sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher) writes:
> darcy at druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
> >Again shar can be banged on a little to handle this.  Simply change the
> >sed command that it generates to translate trigraphs to the proper character.
> >Then shar can convert all troublesome characters and it will be converted back
> >when the script is run.
>
> Ok, so I generate a new-shar archive that looks like this:
>[blahhh....]
> And I send it thru a machine that munges the '}' character.
> The orig file won't extract correctly now, even with this
> "smart" sed script tacked on, because now the sed script itself
> is broken.

But at least you only have to fix one [set of] line(s) which you know
all about, instead of a million possible unknown points in a source
file which got munged.

Too bad about the "extra" trigraph in the source.  Perhaps shar could
check for these, and certainly the sender could pack and unpack before
sending to validate the correctness.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,eci386,tmsoft,ontmoh}.UUCP
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA