shars and security concerns.

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Thu May 3 12:11:53 AEST 1990

In article <FAIGIN.90May2120834 at sunstroke.aerospace.aero.org> faigin at aerospace.aero.org (Daniel P. Faigin) writes:
>There are still major security concerns about this. Suppose you had an unshar
>program that only allowed cat and chmod. That's it. You still have risks...
 ^^^^^^^

You need have no more risks than the unshar program is willing to allow.
It could prevent setuid stuff, writing out of the current subtree, etc.

>Shars are dangerous, and unshar programs don't get around the problem.

This doesn't take my previous proposal into account.  (Did the poster
read it?)  If standardized header information were provided as shell
#comments, then an also-standardized unshar program could read a shar as
effortlessly as a tar file, and with equally faithful results.  Under
this scheme there would be no "operations" at all, just file and
directory creation.  By imposing appropriate limits on what "Mode=" and
"Name=" is allowed to be, unshar could operate safely.