Okay, I give up. What is the real story?

John R. Dudeck jdudeck at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Tue Nov 20 04:24:41 AEST 1990

In an article roy%cybrspc at cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) wrote:
>mferrare at physics.adelaide.edu.au (Mark Ferraretto) writes:
>
>> kdq at demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>> >    Actually, it's Zzyzx, what was supposedly (according to the guy who
>> So how do you pronounce it?
>I'd guess 'zizz-ix. Any other ideas?

For those of us who grew up in SoCal, you might remember that there was
a quack on the radio that talked about health food and stuff.  Seems like
his name was Curtis Springer or something like that.  He offered bottles
of water from Zzyzx mineral springs as cure-all.  Then he developed a spa
out there and tried to make a commercial go of it.  Seems like he ended
up in bankruptcy or jail (don't sue me for libel if I'm wrong... it's
been a long time).

Anyway, he pronounced it zye - zex.

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck at Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."