GENERAL WARNING (Adventure SPOILER warning!)

Kent Paul Dolan xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
Sat Nov 24 07:05:32 AEST 1990

greywolf at unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) writes:
> toma at tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>> 4. PLOVER would take you from the Plover room to the Y2 room, and
>> visa versa.

> This is going to be a really dense question (not stupid, because no
> question to which the answer is not known qualifies as a stupid
> question!), but

> Can someone explain further the historical meaning of PLOVER? We
> nicknamed our pyramid "plover" on one ethernet board (the other one is
> "cheops", which I understand (it's a pyramid in egypt somewhere...)).

Well, a plover is a stilt legged shore bird, but I suspect the choice
goes back to a mildly off color joke that was current in that era:

To set the scene, just remember that essentially _any_ reference to
generative organs was worth a smirk, and that _all_ unmarried women were
Unsullied Virgins, back in the Ed Sullivan era.

Scene: modest party featuring the Jocks of the era and their Bright
Young Thing dates.

Jock, reading dictionary: "It says here that the male testicle is about
the size and shape of a plover's egg."

Bright Young Thing: "Oh, that's great! Now we all know how big a
plover's egg is!"

Kent, the man from xanth.
<xanthian at Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian at well.sf.ca.us>
--
That is what passed for hilarious humor in the 1955-1965 era; really!