Question re .net ethics

A Product of Society jon%vector0 at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
Sun Oct 7 07:49:42 AEST 1990

dfs at doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll) writes:

> I have some questions about .net ethics.
>
> Is it OK to say "Here it is, enjoy, you have no obligations.  However,
> if you want to make a donation, I would welcome it."
>
> Or is it necessary to simply post with no obligations and no mention
> of payment?

    A real good quote from the excellent documentation of FRACTINT
(Fractal plotter, the best):

    "Don't want money.  Got money.  Want recognition."

    If I wrote a nifty program, sure I'd want money...  But you shouldn't
get it here.  The 'net was made by sharing, and people wanted to
become famous (a household-unix-word, in a way).  Get some recognition
by posting it to the 'net, get money from other sources.  It'll make
you feel a lot better.

> Please reply via email.  I'll summarize replies after a week.  Thanks.

    We don't need no stinkin' summaries. :)

> David F. Skoll        | Department of Electronics | Opinions expressed here a
> dfs at doe.carleton.ca   | Carleton University       | my own and not necessaril

____
Jon                           ..?$!..ames!pacbell!sactoh0!vector0!jon
Save Our Hero, BIFF           Internet: vector0!jon at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

    .signature awaiting virtual-reality