Xhash - choke cough gasp wheeze

Tim Ramsey tar at math.ksu.edu
Mon Apr 22 01:46:23 AEST 1991

sean at ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>I wonder what the publically funded network administrators would say
>to this unauthorized use of their resources for direct commercial
>gain? Wouldn't it be interesting if they threatened to pull plugs for
>passing this manure?

Well... there is precedent.  comp.binaries.ibm.pc accepts shareware
packages.  Note that I don't completely agree with the idea of shareware
packages being posted to anything besides a newsgroup created to pass
commercial traffic.

Perhaps biz.shareware?

>X			    NOTICE ! ! ! !
>X	X_HASH IS >SHAREWARE< ! YOU MUST READ AND COMPLY WITH THE TERMS
>X	IN THIS FILE IF YOU WISH TO USE THIS DATA IN ANY WAY!!!
>X		X_HASH IS (C)1991 BY KENNETH JAMIESON
>X			 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

(C) is meaningless, btw.  I think he meant "Copyright" or <c-in-a-circle>.
And why does just about every copyright notice scream at you in allcaps?
Is there some legal reason?

If I wish to use "THIS DATA" to line my birdcage, do I still need to
send Ken $15?  :-)

--
Tim Ramsey/system administrator/tar at math.ksu.edu/(913) 532-6750/2-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506-2602