MDG - Neat, but Something's not working...

Steve Ansell cccstevn at muttly
Sat Feb 23 20:40:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb20.231003.21485 at supernet.dallas.haus.com> cluther at supernet.dallas.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:
>I compiled MDG up tried to run it.  The daemon chugs merrily along, invoking
>mdg_clock.  Mdg, when run, displays the start up screen.  However, it fails
>to connect to the mdg_daemon, saying it doesn't respond, and terminates.

I had this problem also, and it may be due to a couple of problems.  First
since mdg has no install directive in its makefile you have to be sure
everything is where it is supposed to be.  Specifiacally make sure that
the "ident" program resides in GAME_HOME/bin/.  More importantly you need
a "default" character file in GAME_HOME/players.  Without this the game can't
create characters for the players.  You can either just make an empty file or
try to understand the file structure (check plystruct.h).  If you have more
problems I can send you a (relatively weak) default character.  If you get
it running, it really is a fun game, but I would suggest a fast machine if you
plan on having more than 3 players in the game at a time.

						-Steven T. Ansell
						Unix Consultant
						Computing Services U.C.D.