PLEASE post only sources to alt.sources

Kent Landfield kent at sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Wed Mar 13 01:53:49 AEST 1991

In article <7936 at tyrell.gtc.de> rodney at tyrell.gtc.de (Rodney Volz) writes:

>How about RMGROUPing alt.sources and re-MKGROUPing it
>right away as a moderated newsgroup? I'd appreciate to
>have all source postet in the format common in comp.sources.unix.
>
>Would allow to archive sources automatically, as well.

This would defeat the whole purpose of alt.sources. We already have a
moderated sources group where the moderator's job is *just* to assure
that the postings have the appropriate auxiliary headers and can unshar
correctly.  comp.sources.misc has better distribution than alt.sources
and it is archived at known, major sites.

The intent of alt.sources was to provide a place where people could just
pipe sources to inews if the fit overtook them. :-) It has also become a
place where people send software to be beta tested.  When the author is
satisified that the bug reports have died down, they can submit their
software to c.s.misc for archiving having let the community do their final
testing.

The original charter of comp.sources.misc called for moderation solely
to reject non-source postings, nothing more; the intent was to provide
net.sources without the noise.  The advantages of posting to c.s.m are
that archiving is almost as widespread as that of comp.sources.unix,
that anything that is source code can be posted, and that it's guaranteed
not to be lost in non-source, discussion postings. The disadvantages are
that there is a minor delay caused by having to filter stuff through the
moderator.  Currently, that delay is less than 48 hours and in most cases
goes out the day I receive it.

I will make this offer again, there is an open invitation to all who are
willing to share their creations with the rest of us.  As c.s.m moderator,
I will do my very best to get submissions out to the community as fast as
possible.  Development and testing are your responsibility, posting and
archiving are mine.  :-)
				-Kent+

--
Kent Landfield                   INTERNET: kent at sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD           UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent