diff of binaries

Peter Reilley pvr at wang.com
Wed May 22 06:16:36 AEST 1991

jpl9k at cbnewsb.att.com (john.p.letourneau) writes:

>Hi, I was wondering if there was something floating out there in source
>land to essentially do a diff -e on an executable file...aka binary.

	You could try beav (Binary Editor And Viewer).   Beav is a emacs
like binary file editor that allows viewing data in many formats; hex,
decimal, octal, binary, ascii, and ebcdic.   There is a command
that will compare the data in two windows and position the cursor at the
first difference found.

	I posted the source to comp.sources.unix two months ago but it
has not been released by the moderator.   I posted an executable to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc and it was archived at SIMTEL20.   I posted an
earlier version to alt.sources.

--
                     Well, that about says it.