diff of binaries

Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM Dan_Jacobson at ATT.COM
Wed May 22 10:50:42 AEST 1991

Peter> jpl9k at cbnewsb.att.com (john.p.letourneau) writes:

>Hi, I was wondering if there was something floating out there in source
>land to essentially do a diff -e on an executable file...aka binary.

Peter> 	You could try beav (Binary Editor And Viewer).   Beav is a emacs
Peter> like binary file editor that allows viewing data in many formats; hex,
Peter> decimal, octal, binary, ascii, and ebcdic.   There is a command
Peter> that will compare the data in two windows and position the cursor at the
Peter> first difference found.

hmmm, I bet you also could use GNU Emacs's compare-windows command
plus these, which i haven't tried:

		   Emacs Lisp Code Apropos -- "hex"

hexl-mode	  89-05-24
     Keith Gabryelski, <ag at cbmvax.commodore.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/s-is/misc/hexl-mode.el.Z
     Edit a file in a hex dump format.

(/s-is/ --> /as-is/  -DJ)

hex (1.0)	  89-05-29
     andy at ernie.berkeley.edu, <slcpi!treed, treed at shearson.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/misc/hex.Z
     Binary editing mode.

Peter> 	I posted the source to comp.sources.unix two months ago but it
Peter> has not been released by the moderator.   I posted an executable to
Peter> comp.binaries.ibm.pc and it was archived at SIMTEL20.   I posted an
Peter> earlier version to alt.sources.