kstuff 0.18 (part 1/6)

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Wed May 15 01:06:39 AEST 1991

In article <9105131716.AA17481 at rodan.UU.NET>, kyle at UUNET.UU.NET writes:
> You did indeed post a fix.  But without the details, it's very
> hard for admins to come up with alternate solutions that don't
> impact their base of users and programs as much.  It's hard to
> close a hole if you don't know what it is.  Your proposed fixes
> might be complete and correct, but still not be the best for a
> particular installation.
>
> Don't take this as another flame, it's not.  I'm just pointing
> out that reality often demands more than one solution to a
> problem.

One problem is that the changes that are needed really have to
be made by the vendors because the changes aren't the same for
every UNIX platform.  So he can't post a detailed fix.

On the other hand, posting the code that breaks into the system
will make it too easy on the programmers that haven't figured
it out yet and the vendors deserve a chance to get their butts
in gear.  My prediction is that Dan will post his code, a lot
of system will be broken into, and then Dan will be arrested
and hauled off to jail.  All because the vendors don't want to
be bothered.

Since this has sounded like a defense of Dan, I suppose I need
to attack him just to even things out ;-)  I've sent Dan a request
for his breakin suite (or whatever) and he hasn't provided it
yet.  I don't know if this is an oversight, or if he doesn't
believe that I actually work on AIX.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"If liberals interpreted the 2nd Amendment the same way they interpret the
 rest of the Constitution, gun ownership would be mandatory."