kstuff 0.18 (part 1/6)

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Wed May 15 06:11:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991May14.101354.28935 at scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
> which is wrong. don't forget archive sites (like me). one just can't
> unshar your stuff on sys v machines properly, and there is no point
> in archiving shar files - you don't know if they're broken or something.

It's not my fault if you can't successfully archive a perfectly valid
posting. (This does give me sufficient reason to shorten any long
filenames in future postings, though.)

> and since there are only a few filenames longer than 14 characters
> (as you said), why the hell didn't YOU shorten them?

Because I didn't even consider the problem of a System V port until
right before posting the package. Again, we're talking about a
kernel-reading package; there's a hell of a lot more work that has to be
done for a System V port than just changing a few filenames. If and when
someone shows some serious interest in a port, I'll do what I can to
make it easier, but I'm not going to waste the effort before that.

> instead you tell
> us to do it - that's just a waste of time.

I expect that anyone who wants to port part of the package to System V
will get in touch with me first, so I'll end up doing the work anyway.

---Dan