kstuff 0.18 (part 1/6)

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Tue May 14 20:13:54 AEST 1991

brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>In article <13May91.095814.8736 at franklin.com> bill at franklin.com (bill) writes:
>> Bernstein erred in not using shorter file names

>Only someone who ports the
>package to System V will ever care about the filename length

which is wrong. don't forget archive sites (like me). one just can't
unshar your stuff on sys v machines properly, and there is no point
in archiving shar files - you don't know if they're broken or something.

and since there are only a few filenames longer than 14 characters
(as you said), why the hell didn't YOU shorten them? instead you tell
us to do it - that's just a waste of time.
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]: