v19INF7: New MD4 based header to be used in c.s.m posts

Kent Landfield kent at sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Thu May 9 11:59:35 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: Kent Landfield <kent at sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM>
Posting-number: Volume 19, Info 7
Archive-name: md4_header

MD4 can be used to apply a fingerprint on an article posted to USENET.
When run through a verification tool, MD4 will tell you whether an article
has been corrupted.  The use of MD4 does not detect or prevent the complete
replacement of an article.  Think of MD4 as a super-strong checksum.  The
header X-Md4-Signature: contains the value that will be checked against to
determine if the article is intact.

I am going to be using the X-Md4-Signature: header on all articles posted
to the newsgroup comp.sources.misc. While I don't think that this is worth
doing for most general USENET articles, it will be extremely useful for
archives. X-Md4-Signature: is going to replace the X-Checksum-Snefru: header
previously used in this newsgroup. Why the change ???