An apology, and a question (about uucp in Germany)

Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs wcs at cbnewsh.ATT.COM
Mon Jun 26 07:47:48 AEST 1989

In article <1631 at krondor.UUCP> mike at krondor.UUCP (Mike Hoffmann) writes:
]Neither do I! The german backbone is "unido" that is the University
]of Dortmund. They *charge* that amount of money! Simple phone transfer
]costs are *not* included. What they charge that for, especially considering
]the number of links they feed, is beyond me, and anyone I asked.
]We tried to find some terms of agreement that would give us ("us" is
]the Sub-Net, a loose connection of private netnews-sites) cheaper rates.
]This path has somehow ended in bureaucratic bog.
	Perhaps you could negotiate with mcvax about becoming an
	alternate backbone for Germany  (or even the *primary*
	backbone  for Germany, if your rates are better!)  You'll
	have to deal with international shipment from the
	Netherlands, but it should be cheaper than calling the USA.

]Well, we even tried polling a US site directly! But sadly, site
]boulder doesn't appear to be very stable, though I had thought it to
	A better feed is uunet.  It costs money for connect time,
	but the rates were fairly low and service appears to be
	excellent.  No nonsense about cutting off your feed if you
	redistribute, either.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
	# also cloned at 201-271-4712 tarpon.att.com!wcs

#			... counting stars by candle light ....