Help me - please!

Eric Roskos roskos at ida.org
Wed Jun 14 23:27:23 AEST 1989

> It seems to me that some of the people who send me really offending
> flames don't see that I am only a human with feelings, and it really
> hurts if you are called disgraceful, selfish, rude.  I only wanted to
> hear from the pople who read this newsgroup.

It is unfortunate that, in the past few years, so much hostility has developed
on the Usenet.  Especially in an "alt" group, which was supposed to be an
alternative to the various problems that had developed with the original
Usenet, one would hope that people would read more carefully and be more
considerate.  Many of the people who used to try to encourage courtesy on
the Usenet have quietly gone to other networks as a result of this; I, myself,
quit participating in any but the most technical newsgroups about 6 months
ago as a result of a similar unpleasant incident, after participating in the
Usenet since 1983.

I think we definitely need an alt.sources.d, so that discussion can be moved
out of this newsgroup.  But I would hope that, if the "alt" newsgroups are to
avoid all the arbitrary rulemaking and other problems, and not just be a
younger version of the increasingly commercialized main Usenet network, that
people would think more about others, and that not everyone is exactly like
them in their means, degree of experience with the net, or personal philosophy.
--
Eric Roskos (roskos at CS.IDA.ORG or Roskos at DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)

"They are strong enough to hang a house from,
 as strong as cranes, yet they are open."