CRISP: tacky use of my splay tree code.

Paul Fox fox at marlow.uucp
Wed Mar 15 08:55:53 AEST 1989

In article <2706 at rtech.rtech.com> daveb at rtech.com (Dave Brower) writes:

>Phthhhhpt!!! to you Mr Fox.  It is tacky at best to rip code off and
>imply that it is yours.  How much else of CRISP did you steal?

My sincerest of apologies for this oversight. I dragged in a few
other pieces of software from the net (notably Doug Gwyns directory access
stuff. I even tried Henry Spencers regexp code but had to give up
trying to modify it for CRISPs uses).

I would like to make a public apology for this, but I must explain -
I originally tried to use your code 'as is', but had great difficulty
trying to use it. It seemed to have bugs in it, which could be down
to my misunderstanding of how your code worked.

Anyway, once I understood what you were doing, and I kept re-reading
the ACM article, I modified the library to the point where I had
to remove nearly all your code. The way that the splay trees in CRISP
are used are different in their usage symptoms compared to the
ACM articles assumptions, that I 'hacked' them.

My sincere apologies for not leaving in your copyright/copyleft.
I will amend that for future releases.

Also, I would like to put a forward declaration in to apologise
to anyone else I may have offended by using their code and not duly
acknowledging it.