CRISP: tacky use of my splay tree code.

John R. MacMillan john at hcr.UUCP
Sun Mar 12 07:50:02 AEST 1989

In article <440 at ontenv.UUCP> soley at ontenv.UUCP writes:
|In article <2706 at rtech.rtech.com>, daveb at rtech.rtech.com (Dave Brower) writes:
|: I'd tried to encourage the use of splay trees by posting a library in
|: comp.sources.unix last year.  The code in CRISP is obviously derived
|: from my library, but contains not a whit of credit from me or
|: acknowledgement of the source.
|: ...
|:
|: Phthhhhpt!!! to you Mr Fox.  It is tacky at best to rip code off and
|: imply that it is yours.  How much else of CRISP did you steal?
|
|Well, you're in good company Dave, Mr. Fox also seems to be claiming
|ownership of Doug Gwyn's directory access library

>From the docs:

	"These modules contain libraries that either I have built
	or have been collected from postings on the Usenet."

Now it may have been (ok, it was) contrary to netiquette not to
explicitly credit the authors, but I certainly don't see justification
for terms like "steal" or "claiming ownership".  Especially if these
libraries were posted to "encourage [their] use", it seems a bit
juvenile to let your nose get too far out of joint.
--
John R. MacMillan		Wasn't me she was foolin' 'cause she knew
HCR Corporation			what she was doin' when she told me how to