Z80emulator

Robert Dinse nanook at rwing.UUCP
Thu Nov 15 07:39:07 AEST 1990

In article <274059c8.5f66 at uop.uop.edu>, nsayer at uop.edu (Nick Sayer) writes:
> nanook at rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) writes:
>

> >     A while back someone posted source for a Z80 emulator including
> >"upm", CP/M of sorts. I've been trying to get this running, but seem to
> >be missing some of the files. For instance, ubg.c and initdisk.c seem
> >not to have been in the shar files or else they didn't unshar properly
> >on my system.
>
> The ubg.c file is user supplied. If you don't want to do debugging,
> put in some dummy routines that do nothing. One of these days I'm
> going to clean things up a bit. The problem is that the code turned
> out to be so bloody slow that I got despondent.

     Ok, I did this. I also have some ideas for speeding up the code but
haven't gotten round to applying them yet. In particular, changing the
"case" statements with values of 0-7 that are so frequently used into jump
tables that are indexed.

> initdisk.c doesn't exist. Use makedisk.

     Make disk creates the pseudo-drive. I fully understand that you can't
distribute CP/M binaries. I've got CP/M for another box here (model 4),
and would xmodem binaries over to the Unix box to try it. Problem is I don't
have a way of getting the binaries from the Unix file system onto the
psuedo-drive built by the makedisk program.

> No, you need to make a CPM file with the CPM bdos, CCP and bios. I
> can't distribute those. Digital Research's lawyer can beat up my lawyer. :-)

     I have a CP/M box here, can you give me more specific details? Excuse
my ignorance, CP/M is not really my forte, Eskimo originally ran on a Z-80
based machine but it ran Newdos rather than CP/M which is quite a different
critter. My primary interest in getting this to work is to get some of my
old Z-80 tools onto this box (Tandy 6000) so I can mess with the innards of
the O/S (z80ctl) more effeciently.

> --
> Nick Sayer               | Disclaimer: "Don't try this at home, | RIP: Mel Blanc
> mrapple at quack.sac.ca.us  | kids. This should only be done by    |   1908-1989
> N6QQQ  [44.2.1.17]       | trained, professional idiots."       |  May he never
> 209-952-5347 (Telebit)   |                     --Plucky Duck    |  be silenced

Thanks for posting the emulator and your assistance thus far. It opens up some
new avenues for me. Moving files between the model 4 and the 6000 was too much
of a pain as I do not regularly have a modem connected to it and the drives
aren't compatable. An emulator, even a slow one, is great. Thanks.