Pascal

Guido van Rossum guido at mcvax.UUCP
Mon Nov 5 00:30:29 AEST 1984

In article <211 at oliveb.UUCP> jerry at oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>         One can't write compilers, editors, linkers, or operating
>systems with standard Pascal because it is so over protective.

Huh?  The very first Pascal compiler was written in Pascal (even in a
RESTRICTED SUBSET, actually).  So were most Pascal compilers since.
I sould say that none of the types of system programs you mention
need be hampered by Pascal's (not OVER) protection, except for
operating systems (kernels, actually).

--
	Guido van Rossum, "Stamp Out BASIC" Committee, CWI, Amsterdam
	guido at mcvax.UUCP

"The number of arguments is unimportant unless some of them are correct."