Breaking out of several nested loops

David M. Ihnat ignatz at wlcrjs.UUCP
Wed Oct 10 02:35:10 AEST 1984

<I'll never submit to putting in that silly lineater sop in my messaes...>

(Despite the fact that the latest version of news encourages me to
reship the entire text of the reference message, I can't see doing so.
If you're stepping into this conversation this late, uh...go back and
catch up.)

Re the comment on the suggestion to use a 'goto' to get out of deeply
nested structures:

> 	Very UNstructured!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry--STRUCTURED CODE IS NOT RELIGION.  If trying for structured code
produces more complicated, un-understandable code than the so-called
'unstructured' code, then it's getting in the way of the job.  Please,
please remember:  Nothing is forbidden.  Gotos CAN be avoided in all
cases; but it remains a fact that there are times when a simple,
single exit point out of a deeply nested structure will be far clearer
and simpler than a convoluted approach intended to appease  the ghods
of structured programming.  (FYI, I *am* a proponent of structured
programming techniques; the approach I'm postulating, fortunately, was
explained to me by aprofessor long gone but not forgotten.)

	Dave Ihnat
	Analysts International Corporation
	ihnp4!wlcrjs!ignatz
	ihnp4!aicchi!ignatz