C portability between non-UNIX operating systems.

Michael Mc Namara mac at tesla.UUCP
Sat Oct 20 02:40:51 AEST 1984

> In article <tesla.434> mac at tesla.UUCP (Michael Mc Namara) writes:

> >    [2] The biggest problem I have found is that they don't call
> >stdio.h stdio.h!!!!  On VMS, it is invoked with #include <std.h>
> >on the Harris, it is "STDIO.H" (caps necessary), et cetera
> >

> >    [3] Vms requires everything be initialized if it is to be external.
>
> Really?  Which compiler do you use?  The VAX11 C (trademark of DEC, I'm
> sure) compiler (1) understands <stdio.h> as well as other nifty things
> like <signal.h> and <setjmp.h> that one would expect to be UNIX (TM)
> dependant.  Furthermore, externals do NOT need to be initialized.
>
> My experience has been that UNIX code ports to VMS with little trouble,
> unless (1) you wire file names, or (2) use lots of process/job control
> stuff that VMS does not support.
>
>                                                                                                                          x|p|                                     |p~                                                                                                                     |p|g|pp|g|`|g|x|p|pp|g|g|`~||p|pp|     ~p|||
> Jon Corbet
> National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing facility

    Ok, after I read your article I walked over to the Vax11 computer system
we have here at Cornell, and indeed, they are not running Dec's C but are
running Whitesmith's C for the Vax11, hence the problems are not due to VMS
but to the particular compiler written by Whitesmith....

                    Michael Mc Namara  @ Cornell University.