C portability between non-UNIX operating systems.

Taso Hatzi taso at munnari.OZ
Wed Oct 10 22:18:40 AEST 1984

It's probably true to say that the more useful C programs (no
offence intended to authors of reproducers), call on functions in
one or other library.  Indeed, the 'language' derives much of its
utility from the various function libraries that come with it.

Those who have had occasion to use C under various systems will
be aware that there are differences in the 'standard' libraries.
Any two 'standard' libraries may have the same functions but
chances are the name or calling sequence are different.

It seems to me that some effort put into defining standard
libraries for application domains would be just as useful as that
put into defining the language itself. I guess first on the list
would be a standard IO library.

th