C portability between non-UNIX operating systems.

Jon Corbet jon at boulder.UUCP
Sat Oct 13 00:54:13 AEST 1984

In article <tesla.434> mac at tesla.UUCP (Michael Mc Namara) writes:

>    [2] The biggest problem I have found is that they don't call
>stdio.h stdio.h!!!!  On VMS, it is invoked with #include <std.h>
>on the Harris, it is "STDIO.H" (caps necessary), et cetera
>
>    [3] Vms requires everything be initialized if it is to be external.

Really?  Which compiler do you use?  The VAX11 C (trademark of DEC, I'm
sure) compiler (1) understands <stdio.h> as well as other nifty things
like <signal.h> and <setjmp.h> that one would expect to be UNIX (TM)
dependant.  Furthermore, externals do NOT need to be initialized.

My experience has been that UNIX code ports to VMS with little trouble,
unless (1) you wire file names, or (2) use lots of process/job control
stuff that VMS does not support.

--
Jon Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing facility