ANSI C suggestions

Bruce Karsh karsh at geowhiz.UUCP
Sun Oct 14 18:03:51 AEST 1984

> As long as we are discussing improvements to the language, I would
> like to suggest a couple:
>
> (1)	Get rid of that requirement that all floating point arithmetic
> 	be done in floating point.

  I second this one.  Does anybody have a good reason why there is
no single precision floating point in C.

  Along the same lines, it would be nice if C supported longer ints
than 32 bits.  Often we have to go to floating point representations
with concomittant loss of accuracy in order to represent quantities
that vary over a large range.

  Of course, I understand that the standards people have enough
problems without having to extend the language at the same time.

                      Bruce Karsh