Quality programming in c -- a rarity?

Ken Arnold%CGL arnold at ucsfcgl.UUCP
Sun Feb 3 06:13:16 AEST 1985

In article <4541 at ucbvax.ARPA> kupfer at ucbvax.ARPA (Mike Kupfer) writes:
>> In other words, if those who write Unix utilities, surely the
>> top level of C hackers, routinely write bad code -- maybe some sort
>> of restrictions in the language are necessary to help people?
>
>Restrictions in the language (at least the ones I've seen talked about
>in this group) aren't going to force people to comment their code, nor
>will it force them to use nice long mnemonic variable names, nor will
>it keep them from writing 10-page functions (my 3 major complaints
>about the Berkeley kernel).

Or, as I put in "fortune" for the edification of humankind:

	There will never be a programming language in which it is
	the least bit difficult to write bad code.

Also, there are a large number of readable formats for code, and forcing
you to use the same one as me would annoy you out of any language.
--

		Ken Arnold