Language transitions

Robert Viduya robert at gitpyr.UUCP
Thu Feb 14 19:40:56 AEST 1985

><
Posted from  mauney at ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney)
> Pascal has two major problems:  (1) it was designed as a *teaching* language,
> > and (2) it was designed for batch systems -- the "PROGRAM FOOBIE(INPUT,
> OUTPUT, BLETCH);" was intended to be linked to a file name via the CDC
> version of a "DD" statement.

CDC version of a "DD" statement?  I've used Pascal under NOS (one of CDC's
operating systems) and it isn't necessary to use CDC's version of the "DD"
statement.  In your example, the command "FOOBIE,INFILE,OUTFILE,BLFILE."
will execute the program with INFILE assigned to INPUT, OUTFILE assigned
to OUTPUT and BLFILE assigned to BLETCH (assuming the program binary was
in a file called FOOBIE).

By the way, CDC's version of IBM's "DD" statement is "ASSIGN".  It's also
much easier to use (but then, that isn't saying much).

			robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert